Five Tips for Surviving Christmas During A Divorce
Traditionally, Christmas is a time for bringing the family together to celebrate. However, when you are in the middle of, or have recently completed, divorce proceedings, the holiday can feel much less festive.
Below is a list of five tips for surviving a divorce during the holidays:
1. Surround yourself with positive people. Try to steer clear of negativity. It goes without saying that divorce is very stressful and takes a tremendous amount of mental and physical energy. Hang out with friends who uplift you and try to steer clear of those who bring you down.
2. Treat yourself to something special. Visit a day spa. Buy that bracelet you’ve had your eye on. When you give more to yourself, you have more to offer others.
3. Stay mindful of your health and well-being. Eat healthful meals. Make sure you get enough exercise and sleep. Try not to drink to excess.
4. Create new traditions. You now have the freedom to spend Christmas and other holidays in any way that you’d like! Take a personal vacation, or if you’re feeling altruistic, volunteer to work a shift or two in a soup kitchen and help those who are truly in need.
5. Set realistic expectations. Maintaining realistic expectations for the holiday season can go a long way towards reducing stress and frustration. Practice good self-care, establish clear boundaries, and take things one day at a time. It will get easier!