Texas parents have the legal responsibility to financially provide for their children after a divorce. Child support orders generally reflect the circumstances that were present at the time that the divorce was final, but time can bring significant financial changes to one or both parents.

If you find that your current child support order does not reflect your needs or that you are unable to meet your current obligations, you may have grounds for a Modification.

The requirements for modifying your support order in Texas
Even if you and your spouse agree to temporary changes in the amount or the frequency of child support payments, it is not legally binding. Modifications are only attainable through either a court hearing or through the child support review process.

In order to be eligible for a modification, one of the following requirements must be met:

• There is an increase or decrease in the noncustodial parent’s income.
• The noncustodial parent is now legally responsible for the care of other children.
• There has been a change in the kids’ medical coverage.
• There has been a change in the kids’ living arrangements.
What worked for you at the time of the divorce may not be applicable years down the road.

Securing the changes you need

Your desire to parent your children well and provide for their needs has not changed, but your financial circumstances may not be the same. If you think you have a rightful claim to a modification of an existing support order you may need to file for a Modification immediately.
Relying on a verbal agreement or simply skipping payments is not a smart option; instead, you must seek a legal resolution to your concerns that aligns with your current abilities and needs.

  1. Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: