What is the Value of Mediation in Texas Divorce Cases?
Mediation has many benefits in divorce cases, including:
- it’s less expensive than using a lawyer to take the same case through the courts
- mediation has a high success rate in resolving divorce issues, especially when both spouse are open to compromise and committed to reaching an agreement
- mediation is confidential—there’s no public record of what goes on in your sessions(as opposed to a public courtroom where a record of all proceedings is made)
- you and your spouse (not a judge) are in control of the decision-making process, and you have more flexibility in arriving at your own solutions
- mediation can help improve communication and make future interactions with your spouse easier (especially important if you will have an ongoing relationship because you have children together), and
- you can still ask a lawyer for advice if you wish (eg., you can hire a consulting attorney to answer legal questions you may have during the mediation process and review the proposed divorce settlement agreement to make sure your rights are fully protected).