REASONS TO CHOOSE COLLABORATIVE DIVORCE ATTORNEYS
If you and your spouse are considering divorce, a new alternative to the usual adversarial approach is collaborative divorce law. This is an area of family law that trains attorneys to negotiate, compromise and create a friendlier environment. It is an effective, new way to end a marriage without the acrimony, anger and resentment of many divorces.
There are seven main benefits to collaborative divorce law, but for it to work both spouses must be committed to working together to have an amicable divorce.
1. You each have more control over the outcome. You can voice your opinions and know that you will be heard.
2. You get to agree to settlement issues based on compromise and fair play instead of having a judge make the final decisions that affect your lives
3. It is less expensive than litigation. Attorney fees and court costs can add up quickly.
4. The process takes less time than litigation because you chose the time and place you meet instead of dealing with the timetable of busy divorce courts.
5. There is far less stress and anxiety involved because you are playing a more active role in the divorce.
6. The goal is to reach a settlement before anyone files papers in divorce court. Once a couple accepts a settlement, then a legally binding agreement is written and once signed by both parties the papers are filed in court for the approval of a judge.
7. You know that you worked together to make life easier for everyone. This is especially important if children are involved.
More and more attorneys are involved in collaborative divorce law. If a marriage has come to an end, this is a far better solution for all involved.